Disabled Hikers was founded in 2018 by Syren Nagakyrie. Our mission is to build disability community and justice in the outdoors, towards a vision of an outdoors culture transformed by accessibility, representation, and justice for disabled and all other marginalized peoples. We are entirely disability-led, grounded in disability justice principles, and committed to building disabled leadership in the outdoors. Our social media platforms are a highly respected voice of advocacy and inclusion. We provide resources, information, and encouragement while challenging the dominant narrative of who is valid in the outdoors. We currently have over 17,500 followers on Instagram and over 2,500 followers on Facebook.
Job Description: The Social Media Volunteer Intern will support the continued growth and development of Disabled Hikers through assisting the Founder with a range of digital content creation and management. You will be mentored in disability justice, access, and the outdoors while managing our social media.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the design, copywriting, and accessibility of social media posts
- Create and manage social media calendars
- Engage with the Disabled Hikers community through social media
- Identify and connect with potential accounts to feature
- Identify and connect with potential writers for guest blog posts
- Track engagement, make recommendations for campaigns
- Expand our social media presence to additional platforms
Skills and Qualifications
- Experience with all major social media platforms
- Knowledge of social media analytic software, content management systems, word processor applications, and image/video editing software
- Experience with disability, chronic illness, Deaf, Blind, and/or neurodivergent communities
- Demonstrated interest in advocacy, justice, and inclusion
- Able to follow brand identity guidelines
- Education in digital communications, marketing, journalism, or a related field
- At least one year experience in social media marketing
- Experience managing organizational social media accounts
This is currently a volunteer, unpaid position with the potential for growth. Time commitment to start will be 3-5 hours per week. You will work closely with the Founder, and receive mentorship on managing our social media accounts with increasing autonomy. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to learn more about accessibility, disability, and justice in the outdoors, build connections within the community, and develop your skills in social media.
To apply, please fill out this form and submit your resume or a cover letter.